Monday, January 23, 2017

Brain Food: Growth Mindset

I have never heard of the word growth mindset before but it has definately been a part of my life. Carl Dwek is right we always tell others "Oh you are so lucky you had it easy" when really if you take a step back and look at those people they didn't learn as much or get as much life experience compared to someone that had a harder set of problems. I think the problem that I've noticed is that people want to get things done as fast as possible; they aren't looking to gain any knowledge or experience. I know I am going to try to rid this toxic mindset and start exploring the growth mindset!

                                                                 (stay motivated: cheezburger)

3 comments:

  1. Great point Mariah, people seem to be racing through life. Stopping to smell the roses is a great habit to get into. This class is a great example of making your personal growth a daily habit.

    Often, for me at least, the things that I enjoy are put on the shelf for some day that I will have time enough to do those things. Ever looking toward some future event (Graduation, Turning 21, Marriage, Buying my first Home) only to notice that by the time one reaches this milstone, most likely another is placed on the horizon just out of reach.

    I can assure you, the extra time we seek, will never present itself. If something is important to you, just put it on the schedule. Otherwise, years will pass by, one glances back only to see all the hard work they did to accomplish the means and ends of others. I don't know about you, but I like the idea of spending some of my time on me, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that some people are just in the race to finish. They are not looking to improve themselves in anyway. The whole point of exposing yourself to challenges is to learn from them. It is definitely more beneficial to anyone to take it slow and soak in all of the knowledge they can with anything they do. It is worthwhile in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your point of people just rushing to finish things and this often makes it where the finished product or solution is not the best quality. I think the story of the tortoise and the hare is great to consider when doing tasks. I think that it is very important for people to assess a problem before just jumping in to get it completed.

    ReplyDelete