Sunday, January 29, 2017

Productive Feedback Thoughts

I read the following sources for receiving feedback and giving feedback:

Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head

5 Tips for Taking Feedback like a Champ

Be a Mirror

The Difference Between Praise That Promotes Narcissism vs. Healthy Self-Esteem

                                               (Daily Nation: Giving Effective Feedback)

I loved reading the silence the critical voices in your head article. It was so informative in positive thinking. I had no idea that for every negative feedback that I received that I need five positive ones to feel happy and balanced. I also love that it discussed appropriate methods for accepting positive feedback, because I usually just minimize it and then I end up forgetting what I was even complimented on. This one was a really great read!

5 tips was also good. It talked about the stuff that no body wants to talk about. For example, how if we think something is going to hurt us we avoid it but that's not going to help us. We have to face hurt sometimes to grow. I also loved how it discussed state vs trait. Just because I made someone feel bad when I said 'insert rude comment here' doesn't mean I am a bad person.

The articles for giving feedback were great as well, because I tend to find myself being vague when providing feedback. I also don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so it was good to read the mirror article to learn how to reflect what is there without any judgement. I had never thought to take myself out of the equation before when providing feedback but I think that is a great thing to do in order to focus on the other person. I thought it was very interesting about the types of comments you can give and how those affect people and their egos. The last article is definitely one I will share with others!

I have had a lot of experience with giving feedback to others. With that said though, it's never a bad thing to look up methods on how to improve your feedback methods. I loved reading these articles I found them all very insightful. I personally never get shaken up with negative feedback unless it's from my boss at work, so the first two articles I can definitely apply to myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment